- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz extra-firm tofu
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tomato
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 chipotle peppers, canned in adobo sauce
- juice from ½ lime
- Add all of the ingredients, except the tofu and olive oil, to a blender or processor and blend until well-combined. It's okay if it's a little chunky.
- Next drain the tofu by pressing it between paper towels. Do this several times to ensure that it’s as dry as possible. Some people leave it overnight in the fridge with something heavy sat on it.
- Cut tofu into cubes, about ½-inch in size.
- In a large skillet, add oil and heat over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The tofu should start to brown and get a little crispy.
- Pour in the sofrito sauce and begin breaking the tofu into smaller pieces.
- Decrease heat to a simmer and cook until the consistency thickens and the tofu has soaked up some of the sauce.